Monday 4 August 2008

A Cross-Genre, Trans-Format Fusion Of Creative Energies. And Disco Kettle Has A Bath.

.
Yes you heard right.
.
Cross-Genre, Trans-Format Fusion of Creative Energies.
.
Ironically I am discussing Creative Energies because, today, mine are horribly lacking. Maybe it was last nights bottle of wine. Maybe it was because I found myself watching Reality TV Shows at three o'clock this morning. Maybe it's due to my grief over missing nipples. I just don't know. But anyway, here we go.
.
Quite simply, I am talking about music.
.
Yes, I know. I know, stop it. Distracting surely. Silence is what is needed to write. Silence and coffee. And magic dressing gowns. I know, I know.
.
But I find silence quite intimidating. Even at work I'm the same.
(Class scribbles away in silence. Just the sound of pen to paper. A cough. A sigh.
Me: ... Ok kids, stop it. You're freaking me out. Say something or it's detentions all round. Especially for you. Yes, you.)
.
.
Anyway.
.
Here's how it works.
.
Depending on the chapter or scene different types of music are required. Generally speaking I find 'trip hop' as a good general backdrop. (I had to look up 'trip-hop'. It's an actual thing you know.) Rjd2 has worked well, as have Death In Vegas. Cos they're weird. They're all disjointed and mixed up and, bizarrely, stuff I hate in any other circumstances. I did try Jazz, for the weird disjointedness. But Jazz gives me nightmares. Yeah, I know.
.
So
.
For today my plan is this:




1. I have a scene in a park which involves hallucinations or the scary kind. This is a Death In Vegas scene. But, it's also outside so I will interspace DIV with The Coral, their first album, Obviously, because 'trip-folk' (and yeah, I made that one up, but it sort of fits) is good for any outdoor oddness.



2. I have a coffee shop scene filled with a yearning and aching and loads of unrequitedness. This is a Bush scene. Because no one does pain quite like Gavin Rossdale. Maybe because he's married to Gwen Stefani. I don't know.





3. I have a short scene in the main protagonist's flat. I think this will be the Pixies, because their lowfi lyrical madness will lend themselves nice his frame of mind.



.
Hmmm... That's a lot of work. Right well, I'd get past Part Two then.
.
.
Part Two: Disco Kettle Has A Bath.
.
.
Somehow DK has smeared himself in beans. I really don't understand how. I turn my back for one minute. So before jobs 1,2 and 3 can even be properly considered DK needs a bath.
.
I'm not having him delivering coffees splattered with greasy orange gunk.
.
Filthy filthy kettle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.